Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Getting There

 I feel like I'm getting to a better place when it comes to my thesis. I had a meeting with my advisor that went quite well; It gave me a lot of ideas for new pages as well as some new avenues to take when it comes to "making" an original contribution. We talked about setting up interviews with some museum professionals to discuss their thoughts and their institutions thoughts on VR, as well as VR's viability when it comes to small museums. I think finding that middle ground that allows VR to be accessible while giving people a reason to use it is going to be the hardest part. VR is niche, and I get that; I think it is an important cornerstone in tech, and it could be utilized effectively for a lot of museums that typically avoid technology. The hard part is convincing people that it can be useful, especially when it has mainly been used by larger museums in long, costly exhibitions. I don't expect people in the museum world to give full approval for fairly new tech with niche application, but if even one professional reads and approves of this idea, I think I'll be happy with that.

1 comment:

  1. It's been great to see how your thesis is evolving! One thought might be to reach out to some of the professionals that we read about in MUSE 225. Also, for the broader framing for VR, check out the group "Educators in VR" and their resources. For our GCV&M project, we gave a talk "there" in VR in October, which Prof. Jacobs can fill you in on. This page might be a great starting point :) https://educatorsinvr.com/resources/.

    ReplyDelete