Thursday, November 5, 2015

A History of Rochester's Culture and Immigrants


A reoccurring theme I've been coming across in my research is how brewing is connected, in some shape or form, to everything else in Rochester's history. For example, Rochester was called the Flour City (now called the Flower City), due to the massive number of grain mills they had created on the river. However, in the late 1800s there was a spreading wheat blight that greatly reduced their flour production. Farmers, looking to replace their lost crops, decided to seek support from the quickly growing brewing community, and began growing barley instead. This allowed the brewing industry to continue to grow up until the 1918.

Rochester : a pictorial history, by Ruth Rosenberg-Naparsteck

Despite knowing so much about Rochester history, and brewing history in a general sense, I am still lacking specifics about the local breweries. An example of this is I've heard about the Bartholomew Brewery. It has been mentioned in various papers and documents, but I know next to nothing about it besides that it resided in Rochester. However, I don't lack sources where I can search for this information, due to a constant influx of sources/ideas of where to look being given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment