Thursday, November 19, 2015

Evolution of Thesis

My thesis has not changed much since I first came up with the idea of creating a project around baseball, but it has certainly evolved. I began with a very broad idea of what I wanted to research -- baseball. I played with the idea of creating a project around the Rochester Red Wings, but quickly realized that that wasn't the route I wanted to take. From there I spoke to my professor and my primary adviser, conducted research on baseball to get an idea of what kind of literature was out there regarding this topic, and was able to narrow the scope based on my discussions and research. It was through my primary adviser that I discovered my research question; she shared with me a list of questions that the NCPH was asking in regards to sports and sports museums. I modified one of the questions that I found interesting to create this research question: How are marginalized groups being represented in sports museums? Since I live near Cooperstown, NY I decided to use the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum as a case study for my research. I will most likely focus on one minority group -- African Americans -- and observe how much space the museum is devoting to this group. I plan to conduct interviews with the staff members to get their take on the representation of marginalized groups in sports museums. From here on out I definitely need to do more research on the history of baseball, Negro leagues, sports museums, etc. I will most likely create a list of questions, as well, to aid me in conducting my interviews.

1 comment:

  1. Carly,

    I think that the narrowed scope of your project is a great decision! It seems like the work is really focusing into a thesis that you will be able to make great progress on in just one semester. I'm looking forward to seeing how the project continues to evolve!

    ReplyDelete