Thursday, November 5, 2015

Sports Museums

    At this point I have just about figured out my research question. I would like to take a look at how marginalized groups are represented in sports museums, using the National Baseball Hall of  Fame in Cooperstown as a case study. From my research I have learned that the study of sports, and sports museums, is a fairly new field that is receiving more attention from scholars. Sports can provide insight into different cultures, and their values throughout history. For example, one can learn a lot about the history of African Americans in the United States by taking a look at how they were represented in baseball. Baseball in particular has the most literature available because it is considered to be America's pastime.
     I still need to do more research on the history of marginalized groups in sports, particularly baseball because I am using the Hall of Fame as a case study. From this additional research I will be able to conclude which groups are considered to be marginalized, and then decide which groups I would like to focus my paper on. I would also like to have a good idea of how much space sports museums typically devote to these marginalized groups.

1 comment:

  1. Carly,

    This is an interesting framework to focus your thesis. It seems like your research will largely look at both the history of marginalized groups' experiences in sports, and how museums have attempted to convey that narrative.

    As you continue your research, you might find that you need to narrow your scope to focus on the experience of one marginalized group. I would be curious if any minority-specialized institutions ie. The National Museum of African American History and Culture (a Smithsonian) have had exhibitions targeting a similar narrative.

    ReplyDelete