Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The Evolution of the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili


When I first started looking at the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili in the early summer I at first only wanted to look into the printing history. Once I learned more about the reader response found in the Cary's edition I knew I wanted to focus on reader response. That summer I really dedicated to researching different copies to see if there were any similarities in what the owners were saying or when they were writing. However, this project has really come to focus on the provenance and the colored woodblock illustrations (69/172 are colored in some way). My new focus is to bring in multispectral imaging and piece together when the coloring was done, using what method (I think its watercolor) and by using the provenance - determine who did it - if possible. My research has turned more experiment based and that it something I never saw happening. I hope that I can get this experiment done during intersession that hopefully will come to some conclusions.

An example of a colored woodblock illustration found in the 1499 edition at Columbia University.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,

    I have seen your topic evolve since the beginning of this summer. Honestly, I have to say you have come quite far. I admire your efforts to track down HP at multiple libraries and am looking forward to seeing how you bring multispectral imaging into your research! Good luck over intercession with studying the HP. I hope you get a lot done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the focus on looking at reader response. Unlike most published works that were intended for the world/larger audiences to be seen, simple notes or doodles in a book are more personal. This makes them reveal a lot of interesting things about the past because they are less filtered, and more genuine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the focus on reader response and your reaearch into different copies of the text. This is especially an interesting aspect to look at because l feel like margin writing and highlighting can be lost in digital reading. Comments are no longer permanent like on books and can be hidden from digital copies, but they provide a deeper reading into the work. It'll be interesting to see how the comments vary or if they are consistent at all.

    ReplyDelete