Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Corporate Archives: Preserving the past in a fast-paced environment

Since my last update, the scope of my project has somewhat shifted. The more I was researching corporate archives, the more I became interested in the field in general. Quite a bit of research has been done regarding the unique purpose and function that corporate archives possess, but there is still much to be uncovered. The field is relatively new (the first business archive was established by Firestone in 1949) and corporate archives are still few and far between compared to the number of archives in general in the United States. For my thesis, I would like to chronicle the history and significance of corporate archives, as well as compile a list of best practices established in the field and apply these to the Kodak Archive. This will result in a collecting plan and set of recommendations which will allow Kodak to expand and improve their archive if they choose to do so.  

Through my research, I am learning more about the history of corporate archives, as well as why they are often not seen as a necessity for a company. The business world is very different from the museum/non-profit world, and every facet of a company needs to justify its existence by proving it will help make the company more efficient and more profitable. Because of this, much of the literature about corporate archives has to do with establishing a dialogue between archivists and businesspeople to help companies understand the benefits of preserving their past.

I have selected Dr. Corinna Schlombs as my primary thesis advisor, and her research in the field of technology history has led her to make many connections in corporate and business archives. Through her contacts, I’m hoping to get in touch with the archivist at IBM and possibly visit their corporate archives in Somers, NY (which happens to be very close to my hometown). This would be an excellent opportunity to view one of the largest corporate archives in North America and gain firsthand insight into the functions of the collection on a day-to-day basis. I will also be doing more research into the specific best practices that have been established at successful corporate archives, as well as general preservation recommendations for the specific materials that are housed in the Kodak Archive.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, I love the shift that your research is taking you. One of the key differentiations of corporate archives, too (in addition to what you've noted above), is the need for sustainability and longevity for a future. In addition to combing other sources, as you've outlined below, consider consulting the SAA and its Business Archives division - they don't use the term "corporate archives" so much.

    ReplyDelete