Monday, November 20, 2017

If you give a student a research question, they'll ask for sources and sources and sources...

As the old story goes, if you give a mouse a cookie, he'll ask for milk, and then a straw, and then a napkin, and on and on and on....and this has been what researching for my thesis has been like. A few questions at first have evolved over thirteen weeks into what feels like hundreds, and although I can't answer them all, they have pushed and nudged my thesis into all kinds of different directions.

In the beginning I asked myself, "how do podcasts function in the realm of public history?," and it seemed simple enough. The idea was to figure out what podcasts accomplish, then see if that fits into what public history accomplishes, but I think you can tell where things start getting a little muddy. Public history is something that, through my research, I have come to realize is very malleable and rather undefined. If you break down the term you understand that it quite literally is history, usually applied by historians or academics, made available for the public, but that encompasses so many things! My task then was then not only figuring out the nature of podcasts, but of public history itself.

This has since changed my research from focusing solely on podcasts, their creators, and their applications. It has led me to incorporate ideas on public history; it's history, it's goals, what it is, and what it can be. This is not to say my thesis will now be a manifesto on the nature of public history, but it means that it has gained a more specific angle that I will be approaching the work of podcasts from. This is not so much an evolution of my original question, since it primarily remains the same, but it gives my topic a more defined path to follow. I see it being a lot easier to focus my hundreds of other questions into elements of these two guiding questions: "What are the goals of historically minded podcasts?" and "What are the goals of public history?"


2 comments:

  1. I think that the "if you give a mouse a cookie" metaphor is both very cute and very accurate to the research process we've undertaken this semester. I also think that it is important/interesting to consider the goals (ultimately the reason why something was made in the first place) of any sort of educational media, podcasts included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex, I am sure you have consulted this website/organization, but if not, peruse the National Council on Public History (NCPH). It might be worthwhile to develop a survey (Reddit or FB or other dissemination) to ask questions about public history. It might be interesting, also, to consider contacting some of the creators of these podcasts to ask them to define their work. Do they think of it as public history? Why/not?

    ReplyDelete