Friday, November 24, 2017

Oh how things have changed

From the start, I had a general idea of what the subject of my thesis would be but was unsure how to narrow down the subject to a relevant topic. I first started with digital restoration but that topic ended up being too broad and complicated with technical terms. With a little help from the Eastman Museum, I changed my topic from digital restoration to the topic of a selection of films to be preserved (what has and had not been preserved) along with how this influences the film canon. Revising my literature review before submitting the complete proposal will most likely evolve my topic a bit more and help me come up with a title for my thesis. Meeting with my primary and secondary will further change my topic with the feedback they give me on how to change and expand on information. I hope to get their thoughts on what films to use as case studies as to what is reasonable to study in a short time. Research on my case studies will produce results that are bound to change the direction of my thesis but that won't occur until after January break.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, the idea of a canon is an interesting one because it connotes privilege and hierarchy. Will you focus only on those in the canon, or will you take a look at process/how the canon was forged (and what was/has been left out)? I look forward to learning more. (See note in other post that I made about contacting your four archives for site visits/interviews).

    ReplyDelete