Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Old Questions, New Directions

So far, I have been pleasantly surprised by how much literature has been written about business archives. American Archivist has devoted many entire issues to the topic, which were key in helping me develop my bibliography and lit review. In fact, my only real issue with writing the lit review was parsing out which sources were the most important for me to include.

The biggest problem I’ve run into so far is focusing in on a clear angle for my thesis. My discussions with Dr. Schlombs have been very helpful in this regard. Over Thanksgiving break I will be polishing my lit review and putting my proposal together, as well as continuing to do research. The week after Thanksgiving I will be traveling over to Kodak to interview some people involved with the archive project. In order to develop a collections plan and a list of recommendations for the archive, I first have to get an understanding of what Kodak’s own goals for the project are. If they are able to put forward the resources to build a professional, up-to-standard archive, then I will make recommendations for how they can go about doing that. If they are not able to devote the necessary resources for the project at this time, then I can make recommendations for alternative solutions based on the level of control they wish to retain over their collection. Once I gain a clearer picture of what Kodak wants their archive to be, then I am certain the other pieces of the project will fall into place.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, I am glad you found that issue of AA! Be sure to check out SAA's site, too! One thing to think about as far as the notion of the business/corporate archive is the purpose: what part is front facing and exhibit related and other engagement aspects, and what part is appraisal, records management, preservation/emergency, and workflow? Looking forward to learning more.

    ReplyDelete