Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Mi Historia: Focusing in

Since the beginning of my research into Mi Historia I have decided to narrow down my focus for this project to college aged, Puerto Rican Immigrants in the Rochester area. The reasoning behind this is to be able to not only finish this project in a timely manner but also to focus on a large community in the area. I have learned that Rochester has an enormous Puerto Rican population, particularly for its size and about their importance in the city. It is a population with strong roots and advocacy dating back to the first migrant workers that came here. However, I still have a lot to learn about this community in the present and not just in the past. I hope to connect with some of the local activists in the area and have accumulated resources about Puerto Rican immigrants in particular to learn more about their culture and migration to the United States.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea that there was such a large community of Puerto Rican immigrants in Rochester. Is this the result of recent or historic immigration (or both)? Will you attempt to compare the experiences of recent Puerto Rican immigrants with those who have been here for a long time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gaby, if Dr. Carroll has not already mentioned, you might reach out to NY Folklore Society (contact Hannah Davis) who are doing oral histories/interviews with immigrant communities in Rochester. Let me know if I can help connect you.
    Looking forward to learning more about how you are refining your topic—you've already come so far!

    ReplyDelete