Thursday, November 29, 2018

Evolving Thesis

After speaking with Denise from Seneca Falls Women's Rights National Historic Park my topic has changed from the confluence of science and history to looking at how the Erie Canal impacted the movement of people and how that led to the movement of ideas and reform in Seneca Falls. I'm going to be researching the topic thoroughly and providing them with my thesis at the end so they may use it to develop an educational program and tour. We will discuss next week the possibility of pairing me with a ranger so I can work with them during my thesis to begin making the program and tour. So while I have moved from science to history, my goal of creating educational programming has remained.

Erie Canal at Seneca Falls. Image from http://www.nycanals.com/Seneca_Falls


We did also discuss the idea of looking at how the Erie Canal impacted the biodiversity of Seneca Falls, and I may incorporate that, but we generally moved away from it to keep the scope of the project within what I can manage. Depending on how things progress, I may choose to look into that as well. I'm considering writing about both the ecology as well as reform history and then just developing a program/tour on one of the topics.

1 comment:

  1. Its a shame that you aren't able to focus more on your passion for science but this sounds like a very interesting topic. It would be a great opportunity if you are able to help with developing the educational program, even if you are unable to include it in your thesis. I'm glad to hear you have been able to gain a clear understanding of what Seneca Falls would benefit from when it comes to your thesis and I think this is still a really interesting project. Best!

    ReplyDelete