Monday, November 26, 2018

From Concept to Project

Over the past semester, my thesis project has taken new forms, and developed in ways I didn't expect.  When I first brainstormed my idea it was nothing more than "3D printed reproductions and touch," and I've done a lot of adjusting to that core idea over time.  The first main issue I faced was to determine what exactly it was I wanted to find out.  Are 3D reproductions sufficient stand-ins for a real object?  Do visitors want to touch objects?  Will the fake object enhance their experience?  After a lot of thinking, research, and discussion with my advisers, I settled on exploring the topic of whether or not 3D reproductions fulfill the desire of a visitor to touch museum objects.
I also changed the scope of my project over the course of the semester.  I initially imagined setting up my display case somewhere on campus, but am now working with the Rochester Museum and Science Center to select and scan an object from their collections, and put it on display at their institution.  I think this will provide me with better data, and will give me a wider variety of objects to choose from.
Additionally, my desire to create an accurate facsimile has led me to consider methods other than 3D printing to create the reproduction of my selected object.  My choice of reproduction method will depend largely on what object I chose, which is also the next step for my project.  I'm looking forward to moving forward with my project, and seeing where it continues to develop!

Image result for wood milling machine
Depending on what object I select, I might end up using something such as a CNC Milling machine to create my facsimile rather than a 3D printer.  This machine removes wood to create an object, whereas a printer adds material to create.  Image source

3 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed seeing your topic develop. I'd be very interested to see what your findings reveal about visitors being able to actually touch the objects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's really neat that you're considering other ways to create a facsimile. It would be cool to see how reproduction methods not normally associated with museums can actually be applied in a museum setting. I'm excited to see what you choose to reproduce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you are using your expeirnce at the RMSC in your thesis paper. I think your thesis concept and display will fit at the RMSC!

    ReplyDelete