Thursday, November 29, 2018

Thesis so far.

This has certainly been a wild ride. I've often been finding myself getting extremely caught up into the inner workings of an early thriving and functioning underground metal scene and breaking down the culture and processes of the genre and how it has evolved that I often forget to explain the simplest of things like differences between sub genres or names of bands. It is a whirlwind of information on a topic that has largely existed through means of oral history and word of mouth. Still it has been a lot of fun to research for sure. I've been an active part of the metal scene since I was a teenager and I'm still learning new things.
I am hoping to add to a subject with little to no prior scholarship. As states previously the genre has largely functioned and thrived on word of mouth and oral tradition so not much has been written down. For a genre that has existed since roughly 1965-1967 it's surprising that not much has been written down, or at least to me it is. I am hoping that this thesis can actually evolve into an actual museum down the line, but until then I still have a lot of work to do!

1 comment:

  1. This is a really exciting project, and it is very cool how you seem to breaking lot of ground with scholarship on this!

    ReplyDelete