Friday, November 9, 2018

What I've learned so far

Heavy Metal culture is a lot more expansive than I expected previously. The subculture of Heavy Metal has grown exponentially since its incarnation in the late 1960's. The name "Heavy Metal" and the distinct sound of the music has its origins in the steel and metal working industries in Britain. The development of the scene and the community has also been a rocky and long winded journey in and of itself. There are distinct differences in the European and American metal communities and how they hold festivals and their presentation of Heavy Metal in everyday culture.
What I still need to know is more inner workings in how festivals are held and how that affects the communities and towns around them. I am also looking into correlations on the environments of the cities and towns Heavy Metal originated in. Also putting more research into current scholarship and exhibitions done on the genre and its history.
The research has been a lot of fun to do and I'm having a great time discovering more about the community and music I love so much.



Fig 1. Rob Halford and Ozzy Osbourne, two of the original members of the bands Judas Priest and Black Sabbath. Link to photo origin

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kaye, it would be interesting to see what comparisons and contrasts can be made among "heavy metal" as a whole. For instance, what origins/roots a number of these bands profess? Are traditional or folk music relevant to any/all? Or, is there no shared origin? For instance, a number of blues point to Robert Johnson -- but for those who don't what is their common origin story? Also, in terms of festivals, will you focus on a particular festival or a particular location (such as festivals in US, NY, or otherwise). Looking forward to an update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, keep up the good work! My topic seems to be alot more research than I suspected too. I dont think Ill be able to finish reading all of my sources before the end of the semester. I cant wait to hear more about your research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaye, I'm not sure if this is within your thesis scope, but I came across this and thought of you. Hopefully you can use it.
    http://www.heavymetal.com/category/heavy-metal-comics/

    ReplyDelete