Monday, November 11, 2019

Post #6: The Evolution of a Project, The Re-birth of a Child

When I first decided on this project idea, I was thinking about identifying European influences in African and Asian museums because I thought it would be interesting to see just how much European museum practices have become the standard around the world. I wanted to add some sort of practical element to it, which I why I added the part about the African and Asian museums decolonizing their practices and incorporating their indigenous cultures. I knew I had to pick a case study institution in order to focus the discussion around specific museum practices. I eventually decided on Zimbabwe as the location for my case study because their museum community is working on decolonization and promotion of indigenous cultures. I picked the BaTonga Community Museum as the case study institution because it embodied the ideals of the Zimbabwean museum decolonization movement. Even though I had my case study and nation picked out, my research question still included the wide umbrella of "African and Asian museums." I realized that it was way too broad, so now, I am only focusing on Zimbabwe.

I will probably still talk about general decolonization applications, but that will likely only happen if I compare Zimbabwean museums to museums in other countries, discuss global museum trends, or propose general courses of action in the conclusion of the thesis. As my my project progresses, I can see it evolving to include more anthropological perspectives, since I would like to dig into why culturally informed museum practices are important, and how the public can be affected by them. Depending on what I learn about various Zimbabwean museums, I may change my case study to a different museum, but as of right now, I am working with my current pick.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca, it's great that you've narrowed down your topic so intensely. Focusing on Zimbabwe sounds like a great idea and it seems like you've found a great museum for a case study! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, I'm so glad you've been able to narrow your topic down! I'm really excited to see what you can find, focusing on just Zimbabwe will definitely help you to get much more significant results, rather than taking stock of colonial influences across two continents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca, one source you might look at it the newly-re-installed displays at the Penn Museum in Philadelphia. What have they done to contextualize (appropriately) their collections? Here's one source: https://www.phillymag.com/news/2019/11/18/penn-museum-new-galleries/ & I am sure there are others. Perhaps you can visit over break? Good luck.

    ReplyDelete