Friday, March 5, 2021

Getting Closer!

 After writing the second draft of 8 pages for my thesis, I am feeling much more confident about my research in a way that I did not expect. Having spent so much time studying KAWS' career, it was both challenging and refreshing to then shift into researching the Brooklyn Museum, in addition to the legacy of street art in the borough as a whole. I had not initially planned on including such material, but after speaking with Dr. DeRoo, it was determined that in exploring the location of the KAWS: WHAT PARTY exhibition, my research would become far more grounded and focused. 

As the borough of Brooklyn and the Brooklyn Museum of Art both have such rich histories, I have realized the importance of learning more about their respective relationships with street art, and how this may have led to a collaboration with KAWS. There exists a very interesting contradiction in the fact that the museum has touted the artist as a lifelong member of their tightly knit community, and how he also carries such star power in his growing fame and corporate sponsorships. I am very intrigued by this notion of the complexities of the relationship that has formed between the artist and the institution, and have started to question the original grounding of the collaboration (local artist vs. pop culture sensation), and what it has now grown into.

While I have many questions, I imagine some will be answered this weekend, when I visit the exhibition myself!

1 comment:

  1. Courtney, I'm interested in seeing how you address boundaries: blurring the boundaries, for instance, like you mention above re: community and star power. I am also thinking of the artlike market for collectibles and the actual art market. Looking forward to another update!

    ReplyDelete