Tuesday, January 16, 2024

116 Days Until Journey's End

 So, this is my first Blog Post for MUSE 490: Senior Thesis

I began this journey towards earning my Museum Studies BS in 2017. It's scary and amazing and exciting and stressful to realize that, Gods willing, I will reach its conclusion in 116 Days. 

For those reading who may not know me, my name is Angelique Armstrong and I have been employed here at RIT since August 2011 and attending classes part-time. 

I've had a lot of random ideas for potential Senior Thesis projects; including introducing First Person Interpretation at the Susan B. Anthony House, putting up an exhibition of Photos depicting wildlife found on the RIT grounds, introducing diversity in Interpretation and Representation at Genesee Country Village and Museum, and something [undefined] having to do with the Erie Canal and packet boats; like a Rochester addition to the Erie Canal Museum system. 

This summer I was inspired to work on a project that hits a number of personal interest points - Wildlife Photography and specifically my bird photos, and Native American/Indigenous influences in interacting with nature. The current working title for my project-based thesis is Through Caretakers’ Eyes: Reshaping the Euro-American Birding Experience through the Inclusion of Narratives from Indigenous Communities of Western New York.

The title has been evolving as I find more information or speak to different people, and as of this past weekend I had the opportunity to meet with a members of the Seneca and Oneida Nations and their input may result in a minor shift in direction; at least as far as what my proposed deliverables might be. 

Initially I was planning to create a birding guide that could act as a cultural alternative to the traditional Sibley or Audubon Guides, one filled with Indigenous cultural content; but when discussing how my project might benefit members of Indigenous communities it was suggested I contact the Seneca Language Immersion Program (Deadiwënöhsnye’s Gëjóhgwa - "The Group of People Who Protect The Language"); and that my guide might be developed to be used to aid in teaching and learning the Seneca language; as the numbers of fluent speakers is diminishing. 

This suggestion was very inspiring to me, though initially I have some anxiety as far as what kinds of deliverables I would be able to complete by March 5th. 

While this project was initially driven by my personal interests... maybe it doesn't have to be about me at all; or... so much. 

Next on my to-do list: 

  • Reach out to someone at the Seneca Language Immersion Program (Immersion Director, Amber Bennett: amber.bennett@sni.org)
  • Schedule a "team" meeting with 1st and 2nd Readers
  • Finish reading "Words That Come Before All Else: Environmental Philosophies of the Haudenosaunee" 
  • Start reworking my Thesis document
  • panic

oh, here... meet my writing partner, BoyKitty Jonesy 😁 



No comments:

Post a Comment