Tuesday, January 16, 2024

January Updates for Spring Semester

My project has mostly stayed the same since my final submission in December of my proposal. I am still very much focused on the Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival, the apply industry of the Shenandoah Valley, and the relationship between the two. My literature review focuses on background information on the definitions of festivals, the roots of agricultural festivals, and a brief history of the Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival. I did not spend much time looking at my thesis over the winter break so I could come back to the spring semester with a fresh mind and excitement for what I worked on in the fall. I did, however, spend a day at the Handley Regional Library in their local archives collection to find more primary source material and photographs. I will have to access historic photographs via their PassPerfect archives website. I did find three interesting sources that relate to how the community see the festival and its history (two blog posts from 2015, and a 1977 festival souvinir program). I also viewed a 1927-1932 ledger that allowed me to better understand how the region exported their apple products out of the country, via train car and shipping vessel, to different parts of Europe. The hardest part that has not been able to be secured in any way is the interviews I was hoping to do. I will be continuing revisions to my abstract and literature review as time allows while adding new elements to my paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment