Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Introduction to my Thesis - Etta Arnold

 Hello everyone! My name is Etta Arnold and I am a fourth year MUSE major at RIT. Despite starting out as a chemistry major, I soon found myself deeply involved in art and museum studies at RIT. I spend most of my time at RIT now working and doing letterpress printmaking in RIT Cary Collection, working in Shop One, and helping out University Gallery with installation. This past semester, I got the honor to be invited to be a student producer for the Beyond Fashion show held at the end of the past three fall semesters. The show encourages designers to create a wearable garment/art piece that reflects the Vignellis' design principles, and this year's theme was 'The Grid is Everything.' This role as producer meant the rest of the team and I spent weeks managing, gathering artists, photographers, production assistants, new media designers, models and much more. It also meant working very closely with the Vignelli Center and the archive itself, and eventually creating an exhibition of the show in University Gallery. The show and my thesis focus on the relation of the clothing designs and holdings of the archive, analyzing how a fashion show can be created out of an archive that isn't fashion related. This week I have finished up installation, and look forward to more Vignelli events to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment