Monday, October 7, 2024

Kaitlyn Troutman- Beginning my Thesis

    Hello! My name is Kaitlyn Troutman I am a third year Museum Studies Major with a Legal Studies Minor. I am currently in the 3 + 3 program with Syracuse Law, and so I am currently working on my law school application as well as my thesis.

    I came into my senior thesis class with no real idea of what I wanted to do my thesis on, only that I wanted it to involve legal studies, museums, and art. This led me, with the help of Dr. Decker, to my topic "What can smaller museums, such as the Memorial Art Gallery in Rochester (MAG), NY reasonably do to complete provenance research?" I will studying the Memorial Art Gallery's incomplete provenance research. The museum currently has 33 items with incomplete Nazi-Era provenance. 

    These pieces were flagged as they are missing ownership information around the time of World War II, (1933-1945). The Memorial Art Gallery is guided by the the Association of Art Museum Directors (AAMD) and the Association of American Museums (AAM) in their mission to provide to establish a complete provenance for items within the collection and make the information publicly accessible. Since the establishment of the Nazi-Era Provenance Internet Portal by the AAM in 2003, new information and portals have surfaced.

    I will be working with the Memorial Art Gallery to explore this new information along with an examination of the collection. I will explore this path of research to see if any new information can be added to the provenance research of the items and possibly explore new digital avenues of making the provenance research more readily available to the public. I have recently examined some of the objects files of incomplete Nazi-Era provenance at the MAG, and have been reading journals involving provenance. I will discuss my findings in my next blog post. See you soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment