Sunday, October 13, 2024

Progress Update! - Riley Mason

Hi all!

I’ve got a solid progress update to share! The first draft of my literature review is finished, and I’m already working on tweaking and improving the next version. I’ve got a good list of sources, and have gotten feedback and a handful of authors to include in my research. I’ve also started thinking about the structure of my final paper, using past theses from MUSE graduates as reference points. In terms of non-written developments, I’ve started putting together a list of contenders for the final 12-ish objects from the GCV&M’s Bruce & Susan Greene Costume Collection. A recent visit to the Wehle Gallery for the museum’s Agricultural Fair gave me the opportunity to get an in-depth look at the exhibit Becoming Gendered: Garment as Gender Artifact.


The most important part of my progress so far is that I’ll be able to create a physical exhibit as part of my thesis project! I’ll be aiming to display as many of my selected objects as safely possible, with replicas in place of those that cannot be displayed. I’ll be creating didactic labels for each object, as well as larger text panels that explore key themes of my project. I’m strongly considering an interactive element in the exhibit to connect with its modern fashion concepts, though I’ll have to do more research and brainstorming to determine what that might look like.


Once again, please do email me at ram3077@rit.edu if you have any feedback, ideas, or thoughts to share. Spooky season is also upon us, so please share any fabulous Halloween costumes you've seen with me! In the past few years I've been Cruella de Vil, Sarah Sanderson, and Lydia Deetz, and this year I’m working on an Edward Scissorhands costume.


Have a restful fall break!

Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment