Sunday, October 13, 2024

Kaitlyn Troutman- My visit to the MAG

     Hello everyone! I am back to discuss my visit to the Memorial Art Gallery. In late September I went to the MAG to meet with Kerry Schauber, the museums curatorial research assistant and rights and reproduction. She has done the work to date on the provenance of the items within the Nazi-Era provenance list. When meeting with her, she pulled files on five of the thirty three items within the collection. I examined the information in these files, particularly the provenance research. I took notes on these items and paired particular attention to items that were noted by the Art Loss Register. The Art Loss Register is the world's largest online database of stolen art. The MAG submitted the items within their Nazi-Era collection to this database so further research could be done. Though items were noted for further investigation by the database, nothing definitive was resolved at the time. I would like to look more in to these pieces in particular and why the register noted them.

Image of my visit to the MAG, (one of the pieces that
 is listed on the Nazi-era Incomplete Provenance List)
    In addition to notes from the Art Loss Register, I noted the MAG's accomplishments to date on Nazi-Era provenance. The museum outlined these accomplishments within the files. This visit to the MAG increased my interest in my thesis topic. I will most definitely be returning to the MAG to explore more of their provenance files while I continue research on my own. That's all for now I hope everyone has great fall break!

No comments:

Post a Comment