Monday, October 7, 2024

We're doing our best here (Von Stevens)

    For those reading this that don't know me, I'm Von Stevens, a senior Museum Studies student currently enrolled in Research Methods. Originally I came to RIT as an Illustration major that had transferred from Monroe Community College, but switched majors when I realized how burnt out I was.

    My capstone project is to create a cohesive narrative using exhibition design and make an exhibit about Cambodia's culture post Democratic Kampuchea (1975-1979). I was adopted from Cambodia and the country means a lot to me personally which is why I am quite passionate and motivated about doing my capstone in the first place. It has both been hard and interesting to go through so many sources about Cambodia. "Hard" in the sense that it's truly difficult to even imagine the awful things that the people of Cambodia went through during Pol Pot's reign, a time of devastating genocide.

    I want to keep going and I want to make this project successful since it is important to me for many reasons. For majority of my life I've felt useless and unable to do anything successfully, but the Museum Studies program and faculty have made me feel good about myself and school. I feel as if I owe it to everyone to try my best. I struggle a lot with anxiety and depression and even as I write this right now, I'm struggling. I'm struggling but I'm still trying. I want to believe that I'll make it to the finish. If it is something I truly care about then I'll definitely find a way to pull through.

    Thank you for reading and I hope everyone remembers to eat well and stay hydrated.
    Also please enjoy this picture of my dogs! Orange one is Peachy, black one is Piper.




No comments:

Post a Comment