Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Plans for Winter Break

With finals so close, it's a little hard to think beyond them to Winter Break.  Right now though, I'm planning to get two big things done over break: developing my Visitor Engagement study, and creating a complete Mesh Model of my object.
For the first of these, the study, I'm hoping over break to develop the study, determine what data I will be collecting, and how I will be collecting it.  I have some ideas right now about how I would like this survey to work, but I'm going to devote time over break to deciding what collection method I will use.  For example, will there be a written survey for visitors or just observations by me?  I also want to decide how much data I want to collect. 
For the second part, creating the Mesh Model, I am going to work with modeling software to inspect the scan of my object and fix any errors, so I can have a complete working model when I return in the spring.  I met with the Rochester Museum and Science Center earlier today and selected an object to use for my thesis project (yay!), and I hopefully will be scanning it next week.  This means I will have a month to learn the modeling software, and to work with it to complete my model.
To accomplish both of these goals, I am planning on allocating 2-3 hours every week (tentatively) to work on my thesis.  I think this is a reasonable about of time in which I can complete these tasks, and I'm looking forward to returning in the spring to continue with my project!

Image result for sample google form
One of the methods I'm considering using for my Visitor Engagement study is an online form, such as a Google Form.  Image Source: University of Minnesota 

2 comments:

  1. That's so exciting you have an object! What is it? I'm looking forward to seeing how your model develops. As for your survey, you can always do a combination of both (a written component and observational component), but don't overwhelm yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got an object! Yay! Observational vs written comes down to what you want to know, so maybe it will help to figure out what types of questions/observation you can ask/see and how that relates to the data you think is most relevant to your research question.

    ReplyDelete