Thursday, December 6, 2018

Plans for Winter Break

After submitting my thesis proposal Monday, I started thinking about where my research should be leading me over the winter break. Since changing my focus, I've been delving further into my case studies and trying to figure out where there are gaps in the sources I already had. I know I need to do further research on the Wojnarowicz retrospective held at the Whitney, and develop an argument for or against their methods of representation. I also have to see if I can reach out to the museum and get further information about their programming for the exhibition and the museums reaction to the ACT UP protests.

While I'm home I would like to see if there are any records on the Hide/Seek controversy at the Smithsonian archives to fill in some gaps in the information I've found about the museums response to the controversy and any programming for the exhibition. I also need to determine the scope of the controversy for sh[OUT] and how I want to talk about their failures and successes when designing and implementing their exhibition.

I'm hopeful for a productive winter break and am excited to see where my research takes me! I also can't wait to get back to Maryland to spend sometime with my family and in DC wandering the museums and doing research.


[image of the DC skyline from the third floor of the Hirshhorn Museum on the National Mall]

No comments:

Post a Comment