Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Winter Writing

During winter break I am going to dedicate a lot of time to do a deep-dive on research about the history of the Erie Canal and the impacts it had on the Seneca Falls region. I will specifically be researching how it impacted religion, the movement of ideas, the movement of people, economics, and the environment. During this research, I'm also going to start throwing around ideas for a tour/educational program/lecture that I have been invited to present in Spring at the park. I'm planning to spend 10-20 hours a week during the break on my thesis, but the quieter weeks may see a few more hours.

I am also planning to make a few trips to Seneca Falls Women's Rights National Historic Park to get the lay of the land and meet some of the people I could be working with. On January 5th there is an event going on at Seneca Falls called  "The Preamble and the Enlightenment" which is part 2 of a 6 part series examining the Declaration of Sentiments which I plan to attend (and may bring some family too).
Elizabeth Cady Stanton, the principal author of the Declaration of Sentiments. Photo from Wikipedia. 


2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a solid plan! I'm glad that everything ended up working out with your collaboration. Congratulations on being able to present your ideas at the park! Hopefully, they will adopt your ideas, or pieces of your idea, to implement at the park. That would be a great foot in the door considering your interest in the national park system. :) Good luck, and don't forget to give yourself a little break as well! 10-20 hours is an ambitious and honorable goal, but make sure to get some me-time in there when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is super exciting that we both have a chance to research and present the history of the Erie Canal to the public. Our projects may have different mediums but the more ways to teach the public about Clinton's ditch the better

    ReplyDelete