Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Blog Post VII: Winter Break Plans

I plan on taking full advantage of the break and first giving myself some time to rest and relax. Allowing myself some time away from my thesis will be beneficial I think because I can then return to it with fresh eyes and ideas. After the holiday, during the second half of the break, I plan on doing some more reading and seeing if I can ascertain whether I need to focus on one language for my case study (Scottish Gaelic, Irish, or Welsh) or if it’s feasible to do all three. If I can figure this out, or at least begin to, over break by looking at some initial resources then I can jump right in during spring semester. And of course I’ll be working on my literature review after receiving feedback from my advisers so that I can get in the revised version for them to sign.

Overall, I’m just really looking forward to going home and seeing my family (and my dog!). It’ll be nice to be able to just focus on thesis without the assignments/projects/tests of other classes. I will be able to allocate more time to my research in this way and also get some new perspectives from my family who will be curious about my thesis.

I can’t believe we’re halfway through our senior year!

Here's a cute picture of my dog to help ease the stress of these last few days of the semester!

4 comments:

  1. I think your plan for Winter Break sounds great! It'll be good for you to come back with a better idea of what the focus of your thesis will be, but it'll also be nice to get some new input and look at everything with fresh eyes. Also your dog is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie!! Definitely spend some quality time with the family and the dog and relax for a bit.
    What I'm doing for my thesis is to focus on just one of the groups and including a "future work" section stating that the other groups in the federation can also be observed for how they are safegaurding German cultural heritage. You may save yourself some headaches by just focusing on one language (if you have enough research material on one, that is..) and stating that work still needs to be done with the other languages. Just a thought....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dog is adorable! Collecting resources and figuring out what languages to look at is a great way to start next semester strong. Are you set on doing 1 or 3? Why not do a comparison of 2?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your dog!! So cute. I'm also looking forward to a much needed break. It will be nice to step back from my thesis, you're definitely right about needing fresh eyes. Also, I think Kate has a good suggestion about doing a comparison of two languages. I think that could be really effective. Good luck in narrowing your focus! :)

    ReplyDelete