Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Thirty-Thirty-Thirty-Nine Days to go. I Wanna Be Graduated!*

*With all due respect and apologies to the Ramones... I couldn't resist 😇


For those keeping score at home: 

Final final draft of the Thesis is due in 21 days.

Presentation of our research and findings at the Undergraduate Symposium is in 30 days. 

Commencement is in 39 days. 

Once upon a time, when I started this journey nearly 7 years ago, Commencement seemed so far away... this magical, mystical "someday." Now "someday" is "39 days" away. 

Status update: 

  • The Poster for the Symposium is done. I sent it to Amy for comments or feedback, but as yet haven't heard anything. I've been assured that it is still ready for presentation as is, so that's basically done. ✅
  • The heavy lifting for the Thesis is done. I'm awaiting feedback for this latest iteration from my Readers, and I've also shared with some friends outside of RIT, with backgrounds in Museums, Historic Recreation, and Writing (and also who've just expressed a big interest in reading it). I've asked, if possible, to comment on Readability, Clarity of Concept, and Tone. My hope is that any feedback will be received before this weekend, and I can incorporate needed updates in time for the due date on April 9th. 
  • I still need to prepare the signature page for the Thesis document itself and adjust some of the structural formatting (remove some page breaks, adjust some margins). 
I'm grateful to be working in a department with a supervisor that offers the flexibility to complete this last year of my education - there was a distinct lack of that flexibility in my previous depts. 

I have a tendency to downplay my accomplishments, but I feel justified and validated to toot my horn a little bit... I was presented with the Tina Lent Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Museum Studies (a writing award) for my Thesis Proposal/Thesis on Friday, March 22nd at a reception in the University Gallery! 

Ha! No pressure! 

I still believe in my project, and that it is a good idea. More importantly, as I have discussions with members of Indigenous communities (most recently with Peter Jemison [Seneca, Heron clan], former Site Director for Ganondagan State History Site), the feedback and reactions I receive are positive and receptive. It is still my goal to produce some form of my guide by the end of 2024, so I still have a lot of work to do - but I am still passionately motivated to do it. First step... get through the next 21 / 30 / 39 Days...

image: a Black American Crow stands in profile on top of a brick wall. It is in front of a pile of birdseed and looking into the camera.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment