Tuesday, April 30, 2024

At Journey's End... and What a Trip it has Been!

 

Welcome to my last MUSE-490 Blog post. 

Tomorrow is the COLA Undergraduate Capstone Conference, and there I will fulfill the last of my requirements for completion of a Bachelor of Science degree in Museum Studies. 

So, true to form what am I stressing about? What to wear HAHA! 

When I submitted the final version of my thesis, I [no kidding] had Aaron Copeland’s “Fanfare for the Common Man” blasting in my head. When I saw “Submission successful,” a lump suddenly appeared in my throat and my eyes stung, and I was overcome with emotion. Thankfully, I was home so only Jonesy the cat witnessed my weepy moment. 

I started thinking about “What’s Next,” and was momentarily overwhelmed. I sincerely want to see this book come into being – this thesis and accompanying poster session are really just the stepping stone to a potentially huge and daunting undertaking. Not unlike graduation… the book was an intangible, off in the distance, “later,” thing. After 7 years, graduation is happening in 11 days… and that “later” is drawing nearer. 

I’m going to allow myself a break. I’m going to allow myself to walk my talk, and practice the experiential birding mentality I’ve promoted in my thesis. I’m going to catch my breath, stretch my legs, and allow myself to “be,” as much as working 2 jobs and house hunting will allow me to, anyway. I’m going to recharge, refocus, and regroup, and in late May/early June I’ll start the next leg of this journey. 

Unlike many of my fellow graduates, I’m not going anywhere. I’m not going on to a new job, or graduate school, or an internship, or traveling. On Saturday I graduate, on Sunday I work at The Bird House, and on Monday I go back to work at RIT. But like my fellow graduates, that Saturday morning will bring with it a deep and profound change in self. Completing a degree is no mean feat; it doesn’t matter if you’re taking classes full time or working full time and taking the occasional 1 or 2 classes when you can. Achieving an academic milestone takes work, perseverance, dedication, and infinite patience with oneself. 

I am proud of what I’ve accomplished. I am proud of this journey I chose for myself. I am proud of my fellow MUSE graduates and can’t wait to see what amazing things they’re going bring to the world, to the community, and to the Arts, History, Culture, and Society. And hey, if it just so happens that someday someone catches sight of a bird, smiles, and has a moment of “I wonder…” then I can happily say Mission Accomplished.



No comments:

Post a Comment