Monday, September 23, 2019

Blog Post 3

Research Question: What and how are New York Indigenous groups and institutions doing, as it pertains to preserving and creating a digital presence, when it comes to disseminating their culture?

Research Paragraph: My topic that I want to explore is what are Indigenous groups in New York doing to maintain a digital presence? I really want to look at how smaller and much less budget heavy institutions, keep up in the digital landscape. When I talk about the digital landscape I'm talking about both preservation, conservation, and protection of their cultural objects, alongside how they keep their voices loud and heard on the internet as that is where our society is drifting towards, online. I really want to explore not only the evolution of some of these tactics but also where the trends point to as a next step or where the digital goals are actually leading to. I also want to explore the idea of how these cultures in particular view digital preservation as it has many benefits but a lot of what we view as solutions in the modern museum do not align with their beliefs and they face different challenges than some of our more familiar cultures but also have some similarities that should be highlighted.

1 comment:

  1. John, this sounds really cool! Are you thinking of focusing on one specific group in particular? I can honestly say that I don't know too much about your topic, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what you uncover over the course of the year!

    ReplyDelete