Monday, September 16, 2019

Blog post 2: narrowing a topic

Hello! I have two main ideas for my thesis right now, I'll lay them out and then discuss possible pros and cons of each. This will not only fulfill the required blog post for this week, but will hopefully help me to think through them more fully, inching myself closer to a decision.

My first idea is to work with the independent living facility my grandfather lives at in Fairport, NY and a local museum and/or library to bring the residents an educational program.

Possible pros of this are it's highly related to my career goal, museum education, and it would be a great project to put on my resume for future employment and grad school. I also think the personal connection to this home would motivate me more than working with any other audience, and would hold me more accountable. Not only would my grandfather and his neighbors stand to benefit, but my parents, aunts, and uncles would all be invested too. I wouldn't want to slack off and not do my best for all of them!

One major con of this idea is that my ability to finish it relies heavily on the home allowing me to begin, a museum or library allowing me to use their collection for the project, and being able to sync my schedule up to everyone else's. While I can't envision anyone turning away a highly motivated college kid wanting to do free work for them, you never know, and I'd hate to get halfway through and suddenly be left out on the sidewalk. Another potential issue is that perhaps the home used to have programs like the one I'm envisioning, and they were a flop with the residents. Finally, I'm not sure how to articulate a research question for this project. I understand the question is something that evolves all year, but I don't even know where to start.

All that being said, my other idea is to work with the Kodak archive and do an oral history project of how Kodak affected Rochester residents.

Pros of this include the fact that I already have strong connections to Kodak and the people working with the archive and I have a good sense of the company history which would serve as my background knowledge before I began talking with people. Also, if anyone were to do a Kodak oral history project, there would be no better place to do it than right here in Rochester, and here I am!

Cons could include the Kodak archive not wanting to make use of the oral histories if they paint a negative picture of the downfall of the company. This is understandable, the bottom line of the exhibit on Ridge Road was to create an "uplifting" portrait of Kodak in the 21st century, and my hypothesis is that very few folks these days would have positive, uplifting messages to share. This could be fixed by working with the city historian or a different museum in Rochester, but if I change who I'm working with then I lose the "pro" of having those strong connections I mentioned above. The other major con for this is that while I'm incredibly interested in oral history, Rochester, Kodak, et cetera, this project does not directly tie into the whole museum education career I'm currently envisioning for myself. Of course, that's okay, but should I stick with something more focused on what I want to do in the future? Should I reconsider what I want to do in the future, if this project is pulling me in? I have no answers yet!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Taylor! These are both really great ideas. I think your first idea sounds like its right up your alley even if it sounds like it might be a little bit difficult to complete. Your personal stake in the project would be a perfect motivator.

    I think personally that the Kodak Experience idea could be great and it would definitely make you an expert on that collection. I think this could be really impactful and could contribute to Rochester's current push for revitalization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taylor! Amazing ideas! They both sound wonderful and like solid bases for a senior research project. In the end the choice is left to you, I know it's a difficult decision. I suggest doing some calling around and asking questions from the staff at both places! It seems like you just need something to 'catch' and for a solidified plan to be put into place. Once you're more sure in one option you can focus your research there! (I will admit I'm a bit partial to the independent living facility)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Taylor, both of these projects are definitely ones that I can see you doing. Entirely! I think the second project is one that could have a broad appeal but you've pointed out an important caveat with the implications of what may happen if your work leads you into unintended territory (depending upon what the oral histories uncover). The first topic, however, is one that you acknowledge may be difficult (as I like to say, a machine with so many moving parts) but the beauty is that one of your outcomes can be developing a way to make what you end up doing very seamless and formulaic so that others can do it too! My vote is for #1 :) not because I don't like #2 (I actually do like it!) but because you can control a lot of the variables :) -- Dr. Decker

    ReplyDelete