Monday, September 16, 2019

Making Headway

     For the past year I've been dreading this. Choosing a research topic for me is like telling me to choose my favorite child or asking me for the answers to the universe. The only answers I can come up with are I can't choose I love them all or I have no idea where to even begin. Fortunately, I was introduced to a list of projects happening within the next year at RIT that faculty members will be working on and need help with. However, in order to understand how significant one of these projects is I think it'd be best for me to give a few explanations first.
     Last semester, I took a qualitative research class where the required reading was called "The Land of Open Graves Living and Dying on the Migrant Trail" by Jason De León. As I read this book I became entranced by the excellent storytelling and research behind the pages and ink. I begun to realize my curiosity in humanitarian efforts and crisis, in this case it was the humanitarian crisis on the southern US border. In that class, I wrote about the outbreak of the bubonic plague in Madagascar. In other classes I wrote about the need to preserve Saharan rock art as a result of regional political crisis and the importance of trans representation in mass media. I knew I wanted to research something about people, how we treat 'others', and how we can do better. I like to think of research and writing as a precursor and inspiration for action.
     Then comes the perfect project from me to base my research project on! It's a global pop-up exhibition called "Hostile Terrain" which fits perfectly with my two majors in soci/anth and muse. A part of this exhibition will be on RIT campus and I will, hopefully, be able to assist in visitor engagement, research, and ideation. I would like to work on this project and maybe write about how museums and exhibitions currently and in the past present controversial topics. Another writing idea could be on how museums create a space of open dialogue and can be a catalyst for change.
     Later on this week, I'll be going to a meeting to discuss more about the exhibition and my role in it. I'm trying to come up with a list of questions so I know what I'm getting myself into.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! I totally get what you mean about choosing a topic! It's incredibly hard to choose when you're so passionate about different areas of study. The "Hostile Terrain" exhibit sounds really interesting and I am excited to hear more about it as the semester progresses. Will you be working with other students on the exhibit? I also find it interesting how museums create dialogue around controversial topics and how they display contentious material. Hope your meeting goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel, what an interesting comparison about the dilemmas of choice and picking a topic! :) I am looking forward to continuing the discussion about your focus and how you might include broader discussions of Kyoto, as we've discussed in Digital Age, into your research. Also, think about how you can engage the broader public in this research and project! -- Dr. Decker

    ReplyDelete