Tuesday, September 3, 2019

This is it!

Hello, my name is Grace Gallagher. I’m a fourth year Museum Studies major, however, I plan on going into secondary education with a focus in history after I graduate. My interests really focus in on education and history, but when it comes to museums I do enjoy learning about visitor engagement. I spent my summer as a Camp Leader in a Summer Recreation Camp aimed at pre-kindergarten students. I also currently work at before and after school programs for K-5th graders. In my free-time I like to read books in all different genres, binge Netflix, spend way too much time with my friends, and collect as many postcards as possible. 


When it comes to my experience in museums, I’ve only ever experienced them as a visitor. Recently I went to the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, experiencing the various exhibitions they had. When it comes to my visitor type in museums it is not what you expect from a museum studies major. I am one of those people that just like to walk through and learn by just looking and enjoying the space and people around me, I am definitely not one to read the labels. Eventually I hope to get an internship in a public history based setting! 

Source: TimeOut


3 comments:

  1. Hi Grace! It's Rachel, I also really enjoy learning about visitor engagement! I've never been to see the Royal Ontario Museum, but from the photo it looks so beautiful! The combination of the modern looking front with the more historical looking building in the back is a bit weird though. I wonder if they're the same building or different. Besides that, I look forward to learning with you this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Grace, its John. I have been to the Royal Ontario Museum and I loved it! Definitely a lofty Museum to hold other Museums up to. The education field is one that is really growing in the Museum field, and I cant wait to see what you do with the public history field!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, I was already familiar with your interests in public history (I remember the project you did on your town in PA). So I enjoyed reading your post and learning about this interest in secondary education. Looking forward to seeing where your research leads!

    ReplyDelete