Thursday, September 19, 2019

Mulling Over Ideas

As the time I have to think about the endless possibilities of thesis topics expires, I'm forced to narrow my thoughts down.  While many ideas have crossed my mind, the ones that have the biggest draw are the ones involving the exploration of my interests in cultural heritage, specifically the cultural heritage of England, where I was born.  

One part of England that has always fascinated me is the West Country: the counties of Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset, Gloucestershire, and Wiltshire.  The West Country has always been defined by its maritime history, but the part of their history that I've viewed to be under-valued and under-utilized is their pirating and privateering history.

Plymouth alone, in Devon can lay claim to famous Pirates Henry Every, Christopher Condent, John Hawkins, and most famously of all, Sir Francis Drake.  These legendary pirates and privateers were infamous during the golden age of piracy, yet find little recognition in local institutions.  Instead, focusing more on the pilgrims trip on the Mayflower.

While this is only an idea, the concept of combining cultural heritage with the idea of cultural tourism excites me, as it is a path in my career that I'd be excited to explore.

Beyond that, after reading an article about the cultural significance of the Garbage Plate, it also inspired me to think about the English food I miss, and the common cultural misconceptions people retain about British food in general.  The idea of exploring the heritage behind the foods so commonly eaten in the U.K. and how they can be preserved also peaks my interest.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Neil, this could be an interesting topic related to cultural heritage and intangible heritage. Food related, it would be fascinating to trace foods and their origins, along the lines of "A History of the World in Six Glasses" or similar books. What foods do you like? What are their origins? Moving from personal to national, you might consider bringing Brexit into the discussion. Food aside, I think the Henry Moore sculpture could be a fascinating topic for thesis. It's so rich! Good luck! -- Dr. Decker

    ReplyDelete