Thursday, September 26, 2019

Statement of topic and research questions draft

My topic is the Repatriation of non-native artifacts in small museums, more specifically what should small institutions do when they do not reasonably have the funds to send objects back to their homes. What kinds of obligations do they have to these objects in regard to their care and exhibition? What can they do to best pay respects to these objects? With all the technology of the modern age, what options does this open up for them?

I want to use my hometown library as an example, along with hopefully finding other case studies, to look into what museums have been doing with objects like this. One of the other elements of this that I have been considering how to handle is whether I should get more specific and restrict the conversation to just non-native human remains, and in research if I can find enough case studies that is something I will consider. My concern with restricting it further, however, is that it might not be as generally useful terms because I don’t know how common it is that a small-time museum would have non-native human remains. Either way, I still have a lot to work on to clarify and refine this.

No comments:

Post a Comment