Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Developing Thesis Content

This week has been a slow push through the 500+ archival photographs I took of the collections I reviewed over winter break. I have been working through finding documents that contain relevant information that will help me develop the factual content of my case study. I have been attempting to figure out the timeline of the controversy to develop a better understanding of when various community organized symposia and protests were and how they played in to the larger story. Knowing that there was a community response to the controversy I want to evaluate what was done to address community concerns outside of the museum space. This is key because it will inform my understanding of where the Smithsonian fell short and what the non-Smithsonian programming did, either, wrong or right.

I also began developing my section about the programming utilized by the Brooklyn Museum. The problem I am facing is that I do not have access to visitor responses or feedback for any of the programming. Though I can discuss how each of the programs address a unique aspect of the exhibitions topic or conceptual message, I won't be able to discuss how effective the programming actually was. This is a relatively large shortcoming but I hope that I may be able to contact the Brooklyn Museum to see if they have any visitor studies on the programming they did for Hide/Seek.

I'm hoping to keep writing before going back and revising, simply because some of the content I still need to find through my research. For now I feel confident moving forward, I have begun formulating my introduction and all of the sections I believe I will need to address in the body of the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment