Sunday, February 10, 2019

Spring Semester Update #2

As always, I'm still moving forward with my research. For our first deadline of eight pages, I decided to research and write about important Scottish Gaelic policies given that I'll be referencing them throughout my paper. In addition, I included some useful statistics from a study that examined how many people know/speak Gaelic, their public perception of it, and its ties to cultural identity. Next, I began writing on the National Library of Scotland for my first case study because I was interested in their digitization efforts that are making rare Gaelic text and literature available online.

Currently, I'm looking into preservation and revitalization efforts in school and in community organizations. For example, I'm reading about Gaelic Medium Education, which allows children as early as preschool age all the way up to secondary school to learn in Gaelic. In terms of community organizations, there are quite a few that offer online resources to families and parents. As I research more about this, I feel like it's a nice tie-in to the Library's digitization efforts. With all of this combined, I might include a section just dedicated to the digital and how modern preservation and revitalization efforts can be undertaken through online means. For instance, besides the Library, are other museums and cultural institutions connecting with their audiences online? Are they doing things such as bilingual social media posts? For our next deadline, I also want to finish my introduction. Hopefully by that point I'll have most of my research done so I can have a better idea of how to summarize my paper and pinpoint the thesis statement.

Peer review last week was very helpful. It's always nice to have a fresh pair of eyes to catch weird wording/typos. It was also helpful just to see how my group members decided to go about organizing their ideas. It's exciting seeing everyone's progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment