Thursday, September 27, 2018

Blog Post #3

Alas, I have decided on a topic for my Senior Thesis. I’ve decided to follow my passion for Buffalo Sports History. My working research theme is “Why build a Sports Museum in Buffalo?: The Importance of Sports Tourism”. As I began the process of looking for peer-reviewed journals and book publications I realized, research takes time. Not every journal that I initially thought would be helpful ended up being useful in supporting my thesis. After, reading “Viewpoint: When Tourism is History: Travel and the Construction of the Past in Cooperstown, New York,” I realized this topic focused more about the revitalizing of the village of Cooperstown rather than the construction of the Baseball Hall of Fame. It is time for me to find journal dedication to the sports hall of fame and museums, such as “Developing a Sport Museum: The Case of Tennis Australia and the Tennis Heritage Collection” by Kellett, Pamm and Anne-Marie Hede. 
    The journal I previously mentioned, “provides background literature from both academic and industry research regarding sport museums that must be analyzed to support decisions about the development and introduction of Tennis Heritage Collection." (1)This journal proves to be valuable because it describes numerous fundamental questions in order to start a new successful museum:      Location? Can the museum create an alliance with the existing team? Target market and audience? 
This article outlines the plan that Janice, the Manager of Special Projects, used to start the Tennis Museum of Australia. 
    The second journal I read is titled “The National Hockey League and Cross-Border Fandom: Fan Substitution and International Boundaries” by Brian Mills and Mark S. Rosentraub. The journal collected data that showed the demographics of Buffalo Sabres Fans, especially pertaining to Canadians, about “15% of attendees at Buffalo Sabres home games travel from Canada” (2). What I found most interesting from this article, is that Canadians seems to unaffected by the obstacles of crossing the border such as tolls and possession of a passport (3). Using this data, it is logical to assume that a fair amount of attendees to the proposed museum will come from Canada, and certain exhibits can be catered to them. This paper is useful for my research because museums want to cater to their demographics. It is essential to know the local sports team demographic because they are mostly like going to be the one visiting the museum.      

 (1) Kellett, Pamm and Anne-Marie Hede. "Developing a Sport Museum: The Case of Tennis Australia and the Tennis Heritage Collection." Sport Management Review 11, no. 1 (2008): 115.

(2) Mills, Brian M. and Mark S. Rosentraub. "The National Hockey League and Cross-Border Fandom: Fan Substitution and International Boundaries." Journal of Sports Economics 15, no. 5 (2014): 497.

(3) Ibid, 509.

1 comment: