Thursday, September 6, 2018

Museum Studies



Living in New York city all my life with all of its museums, and the frequent trips abroad to various locations with their own varied museums (especially Spain, where some of my relatives live), to say that I've been to quite a few museums... would be one way to put it, I suppose. Museums related to technology and media jumped out at me the most, given my interests in the two, but almost all were great to visit. Almost being the key word, I didn't really like art museums when I was younger, but even those I got a real appreciation for them as I got older. Still have an extreme distaste for the works of Jackson Pollock, though, and some trends of modern art are starting to become a bit disconcerting. But that's getting slightly off topic. Over time, I thought about how interesting some of the inner mechanisms behind closed doors could be, the differences there must be across all these subjects, yet core similarities at the same time. But still, I was attending an engineering high school doing engineering stuff prepping for an engineering degree at RIT, things seemed good. Some time and an unbelievable number of supreme embarrassments across many different coding languages later, I knew I had to switch majors, immediately. So I sifted through, and I found the Museum studies major, a major that, admittedly, I didn't even know was a thing that existed prior to that. But when finding out about it, I thought "that's the one". And I was correct. So here I am, diving right into the museum world, no looking back, only forward, a trek that has gone very well.

Standing with my mother and brother on the roof of the Ghibli museum, alongside a statue of a Laputan robot

1 comment:

  1. Dante, I am interested in knowing what you might develop for a potential topic. Could it relate to your recent internship experience or another project you're pursuing at present?

    ReplyDelete