Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Kate's Thesis Ideas: Nature at Seneca Falls

For my thesis I would like to partner with the Women's Rights National Historical Park in Seneca Falls. As I am primarily interested in educational outreach and programming, I would like to work with them to improve existing, or to create new, educational experiences for their visitors. Depending on the park's needs this could go in many different directions.

I am especially interested in developing a ranger guided tour or self guided tour about the nature near the historic home of Elizabeth Cady Stanton. I have been considering making didactic text displays or a brochure discussing the local birds. This semester I am taking an ornithology class and I am involved in Dr. Pagano's research lab studying migratory songbird nutrition in the local area. I could draw upon these experiences and additional research to develop a birding guide for the Seneca Falls region. Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge is nearby to the historic park and may be another useful resource to draw upon. Another idea is to have a similar guided tour (either self or ranger-led) but for the local fauna. In addition to researching the local plants for identification, I would connect the plants to their historic importance. I could look at the native versus invasive species and how invasive species were introduced and the impact that had on the ecology and economics of the area. Another point of interest is looking at how plants were used medicinally and culturally during Elizabeth Cady Stanton's lifetime, including any direct connections to her and other contemporary women's rights activists.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton House
Source: National Park Service

4 comments:

  1. As a person biased against historic home museums, I think adding this type of unique element to the site is an amazing idea. It adds a layer to the visitor experience that isn't common for historic homes. The fact that it aligns with your science background is just another plus! As I was reading this I thought about Genesee Country Village and Museum's heritage farm animals and crops. It's definitely very different from the type of experience you're trying to craft, but perhaps looking at their educational programming dealing with the heritage farm collection could be helpful as you're coming up with ideas for your tours? Just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have both the passion and the skills necessary to bridge the gap between nature and museums. I love the idea and I can't wait to see how it turns out

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just had the Genesee Land Trust in our fundraising class. They do guided walks and it sounds like this may be a good partnership with your idea. I have contact info for you that i’ll bring to class next week. The woman we talked with said that she’d be happy to at least help point you to someone that you can work with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, would be interesting to see what data the museum has, if any, on what visitors to the area are interested in learning and considering that in your tour development. You might also consider reaching out to the convention/visitors bureau to see what interests visitors in this region. They may also have demographics which could aid in your ideation. Looking forward to learning more!

    ReplyDelete