Thursday, September 6, 2018

Museum Studies and Hulabaloo

I've loved museums since I was a young kid. Coming from the Philadelphia area I grew up being dragged around center city from the Liberty Bell to the Philadelphia Art Museum. Colonial history and living history museums never interested me as a kid, I grew to love them as an adult. However I always loved my trips to Art museums and Natural History museums. Those were always my favorite trips growing up. My grandmother and I would always take one annual trip to New York when I was growing up and we would always visit at least one museum. So I was fairly accustomed to the idea of museums from a young age and the importance of them. Now as an adult (student) I moved 2,000 miles away to pursue a degree pathway to working in and around museums and museum environments. I'd say that move was worth it. Now on my birthday every year I visit a different museum, So far that has been going well!
As for living history interests, well that ended up becoming a hobby. While in Texas I joined the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) and took up archery and fencing. After two wrist surgeries I stopped fencing but I still to archery! Back to my point, the group that I did archery with used to do demonstrations and workshops on medieval society and would teach families archery at them. I got to participate in a couple and they are very fun! Attached is not a photo from the event, but from practice. :)

1 comment:

  1. Great pic, and interesting intro to your life and work - could you develop a topic related to sport as engagement in/around museums? Or, could you consider discussing anachronisms as okay/not in some living history contexts. Excited to learn more...

    ReplyDelete