Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Thesis Idea and Case Study

Hello! I'm Kaye Knoll and my thesis is focused on a case study on Ganondagan: how they came to be what they are today, and how that can be applied to be used for the Delaware Native Americans. I will be looking into the history, policies, and process that made Ganondagan what it is today. The presence of Native American tribes in Delaware are practically non existent and there is not much information or resources about them in the state. Also I am not positive it is mandatory in the Delaware state curriculum to teach about them, thus why I was not personally exposed to the information and am frustrated that I wasn't. I want to help preserve these tribes history, languages, and cultures and to be able to make the information more widely available and accessible to Delawareans across the state.

http://www.nanticoke-lenape.info/
http://ganondagan.org/

3 comments:

  1. Are you interested in any specific topic related to how Native American society became what it is today? As in their geographic location, how they have maintained culturally important parts of their societies in the face of imperialism, economics, etc? I took a course on Native American history in the United States, and you're welcome to borrow my textbooks if you like. The first is Kenneth W. Townsend & Mark A. Nicholas' "First Americans: A History of Native People," and the second is Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz's "An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to borrow that actually!! Specifically I want to see what made Ganondagan so successful and try to apply that to Delaware. I never really was exposed to Native culture in Delaware let alone information on the Native tribes there so I want to make the information more accessible and available to the rest of the state.

      Delete
  2. Kaye, might be useful to consider the structure/administrative and cultural arrangement for Seneca Art & Culture Center at Ganondagan, Ganondagan state historic site, and Friends of Ganondagan and how that compares/contrasts with the Department of Cultural Affairs in Delaware. Are there any national entities that might be useful as a comparison, too?

    ReplyDelete