Thursday, September 27, 2018

Articles on 3D Printing in Museums

Mostly, what I learned from the close reading of my two articles is that my topic isn't one that's been explored very much.  Neither of the articles I read, "Flip-flopping museum objects from physical to digital - and back again" and "3D printing and 3D scanning of our ancient history" related exactly to what I want to research for my thesis project.  The first article discussed a case study in which visitors were allowed to scan, remix, and then 3D print sculptures at an art museum in Denmark, while the second was about the importance of having 3D facsimiles and scans of Iraqi artifacts available so that the people of Iraq can understand their cultural heritage.  The articles didn't give me a ton of information on my topic, but both provided insight into how academic articles should be written.
The first article I read ("Flip-flopping museum objects from physical to digital - and back again") was laid out very clearly, with each section defined, and all potentially unknown concepts explained for the reader.  This is the type of article I would like to emulate with my own thesis; something that's clear and understandable for the reader.  The second article I read however, was not particularly clear.  There was little evidence to back up the author's points, and most of the article was devoted to discussing important Iraqi achievements, which was interesting, but not related to how 3D printing can help preserve cultural heritage.  These two articles therefore gave me more insight into the format and shape I want my thesis to take rather than the content itself, but I still feel it was valuable.
Both articles also provided interesting information about the research methods employed.  For the first article, the author detailed how she spent eight weeks observing visitors to the museum who interacted with the 3D remixing and printing of sculptures.  She discussed observing them, in some cases interviewing them, and how this provided insight into the visitor experience.  This also felt important to me, as I'm hoping to complete a visitor experience study as part of my thesis. The second article meanwhile, didn't provide much insight into the research methods employed.  The authors cited some books and journals, but that was all they detailed about their research methods.  This made it hard to gain insight, since I'm not entirely certain what methods they used to do research for this article.
Overall, I found these articles to be interesting, even though they didn't necessarily relate to my topic.  One thing that was really helpful however, was looking at their citations.  Both articles cited sources that I think might be beneficial for me to look at, as they seem to relate more to my topic.  These articles gave me helpful insight into what research methods I can employ for my own project, and I'm excited to continue researching and working to develop my thesis idea.

A photo included in the first article of a visitor 3D scanning one of the museum's sculptures.  Photo by Lise Skytte Jakobsen (article author). From  Flip-flopping museum objects from physical to digital - and back again
Sources:

Article 1: Lisa Skytte Jakobsen, "Flip-flopping museum objects from physical to digital - and back again," Nordisk Museologi 2016, 1 (2016): 121-137

Article 2: Al-Baghdadi, Maher A. R. Sadiq, "3D printing and 3D scanning of our ancient history: Preservation and protection of our cultural heritage and identity," International Journal of Energy and Environment 8, 5 (2017): 441-456

3 comments:

  1. It's awesome to hear that what you're looking at doesn't have too extensive scholarship! Maybe that means that you can develop key insights in to the role of 3D printing in museums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can collabroate with RIT engineering department to help gather ideas on how to bring 3D printing into museums.

      Delete
  2. I have also been looking closely at my article's citations. I've been growing fonder of Chicago style recently. It is nice having a small description of the source and anything of note from the author.

    ReplyDelete