Thursday, September 6, 2018

It's in my blood...

Hello internet peoples!

I'm Skye Tryon, 4th year Museum Studies student. I grew up in the ROC and I've been around history my whole life, as my grandmother (Nonnie) is a genealogist and can tell you what clans I'm from in Ireland and Scotland, among other things.


Around 2005 my grandparents retired to Williamsburg, VA, which is a hotbed of historical research and scholarship. My family goes down for a week pretty much every year (2013 is the only year I remember not going) during the summer, and I try to make it to at least one of the Historic Triangle sites while we're there; last year (2017) I managed to make it to all three sites, which is a personal record. This year I met up with my pen pal Morgan (who is the sweetest person ever and just as much of a history nerd as I am) in real life for the first time. She's double majoring in a make-you-own-major of Historical Costuming and History at William and Mary, and she gets to LIVE AT COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG! I am so incredibly jealous, but hey, I have an open invitation to visit over winter break. Morgan is doing the exact thing I want to do, which is work at CW doing costumed interpreting. My ethos for teaching history is that we need to learn from and about the mistakes of the past in order to avoid them in the future, and I find that making history fun get kids engaged and living history creates a link from past to present in their little brains.


Military history has been a passion of mine for many years, with a focus on modern military history, meaning from the American Revolution onwards. Recently I've been getting into Scottish history (I blame Outlander) and engaging with my heritage in the British Isles. I'm looking forward to working on my thesis this year, and learning even more about the history I'm so passionate about.

*Thesis progress will be posted on my personal blog MuseNerd*

Tryon Palace in NC - I'm related to Gov. William Tryon

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you are related to Gov. Tryon. Interesting! I so look forward to seeing what you develop as a topic, Skye. Great pix on your post, too! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete