Saturday, September 8, 2018

Blog Post II: Senior Thesis, Where Museum Studies and Linguistics Collide


For my senior thesis project, I want to combine my interests in linguistics and museum studies. For as long as I can remember, I have always been intrigued by language, both from a linguistic perspective and from a writer's perspective. Since sixth grade, I've been studying Spanish, and it is my immersion here at RIT. I also have a minor in Language Science. One topic touched upon in my classes is endangered languages. There are approximately 6,900 distinct languages in the world, and around half of them are in danger of dying. One film we watched, titled The Linguists, follows two linguists on their journey documenting a few of these languages, and I would recommend it to anyone interested. An example I can give of an endangered language is Scottish Gaelic, a language that I am trying to learn online because of my family heritage and because of its threatened status. I've known of Scottish Gaelic since middle school because my aunt gifted me and my sister a MacLaren crest necklace, one that I often wear and get asked about. On it is written Creag an Tuirc, which means "The Boar's Rock" in Scottish Gaelic. For my thesis, I will probably focus on Scottish Gaelic as a case study. Overall, language preservation is vital because language is a cornerstone of society and culture. Given that museums are cultural institutions that dedicate themselves to preservation and education, I wondered just how museums and archives could help the language preservation effort. Language is essential in the telling of stories and in the safeguarding of tradition and culture, as we see with oral history. Therefore, although museum studies and linguistics may initially seem like disparate subjects, they aren't. Historical linguists may consult old transcripts, documents, and writing systems that are part of museum collections, for example. In summary, the goal of my thesis is to explore the places where museums and linguistics intersect, and how they can work together to help protect the world's endangered languages. I want to introduce the new perspective of preserving language, not just artifact.
This is a screenshot from The Endangered Languages Project, and I clicked on Scottish Gaelic as an example. They provide the language's status and number of speakers.


11 comments:

  1. I love this very unique and interesting thesis topic. Preserving language and culture in our ever changing world is so important -- especially as the world shrinks and as communication/language constrict/transform with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a very interesting topic! I look forward to seeing it develop throughout the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I'm excited to share with the class and see everyone else's thesis progress as well.

      Delete
  3. I love the topic you have chosen for your thesis. I was recently in Ireland during the summer and I learned a little bit of Irish/Gaelic. Luckly they are trying to keep the lanaguge alive by requiring children to learn it in the school system up. Is there any way you can try to preserve these dying lanaguages within the museum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear more about your trip to Ireland!! It sounds amazing! I think there are many ways museums can help preserve dying languages, and I'm going to try to uncover those ways through this thesis.

      Delete
  4. This is such a great topic for research. Are you more interested in studying and creating an archive or developing front-facing materials for visitors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it means a lot! Right now I'm not sure if I want to do a project-based thesis (in which case yes, I'd look into creating a hypothetical archive or procedure for museums to follow for language preservation), or a research-based thesis.

      Delete
  5. I love this!!! I can't wait to see where this goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaye! I'm excited to share with everyone!

      Delete
  6. I really love this idea! I was in Iceland earlier this year, and a couple of times it was mentioned that Icelandic is an endangered language, but teaching it at universities around the world is helping to keep it alive. I didn't even consider the role museums can play in this preservation, but it sounds like a really interesting topic and I'm excited to see where it'll lead you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate, you might consider going back to readings from MUSE 359 (our cultural informatics class) and looking at Dr. Kim Withey's article on Mukurtu. She/her team are doing ground breaking work in cultural heritage preservation and are achieving success through protocols and structured frameworks for preservation and access. Looking forward to further developments!

    ReplyDelete