Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Why Museum Studies?


When I was in elementary school, the teachers every year would ask us what we wanted to be when we grow up? My response was not the typical career choices like a doctor or a fireman. Instead, I told my fourth-grade teacher that I wanted to be a historian and scientist working for a well-established museum. Funny how life turns out. From a young age, I was fascinated by how museums transformed history into an interactive and educational exhibition for people of all ages to enjoy. Museums are a place where history comes alive through illuminating stories from artifacts. These stories associated with ancient artifacts is where I fell in love with museums. 
Recently, I had the unique opportunity to work abroad for the National Museum of Ireland for the summer. I was assigned to work with the Natural History and Archeology Collections. My boss and I organized, updated, and in some cases reassigning accession numbers to objects hidden in the crypt. Towards the end of my time in Ireland, my boss had me perform a Collections Audit, where a museum personnel goes through the collection and randomly picks out artifacts to see whether it has been updated into the database system. I loved learning about Ireland’s ancient history through the museum’s tremendous collections through performing the audit.

Image result for National museum of Ireland

4 comments:

  1. Ah I'm jealous you got to work there over the summer!! That is really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize you had the chance to go to Ireland and work with some of the country's national heritage. That must've been such an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm incredibly jealous that you got to work at an Irish museum! I really would like to visit and trace my family's past through the country...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the collections audit. How fun! I am envious. That's a favorite task of mine. Will your thesis focus on collections, perchance? Or what about their opposite — FIC (if you don't know what that is, let's talk!). Looking forward to catching up!

    ReplyDelete