Wednesday, September 5, 2018

First Blog Post

Hi everyone! My name is Lizzy, and I'm super nervous excited to be starting my senior thesis project.  I'm a third year Museum Studies and Digital Humanities and Social Sciences major at Rochester Institute of Technology, and I'm mainly interested in collections, as well as how museums are adapting to the digital world we're becoming more immersed in.  I'm not sure yet what I'd like to do my thesis on specifically, but I'm hoping to do some sort of project that combines the Digital Humanities with my Museum Studies knowledge.

So far, my experience in the Museum Studies field has been limited to a handful of internships I've done over the last few years.  During the summers of 2014, 2015, and 2017, I held an internship at my local Town Hall's archives.  It was in this position that I began to really explore and fall in love with curation, and I'm grateful for the experiences I was able to have at this job.  This past summer however, I held two different part-time internships at small museums near my hometown.  The first, at the Heckscher Museum of Art, was an education position that ended up involving me working at a summer camp, so that unfortunately wasn't really the internship experience I was hoping for.  At my other position, I did development for the Whaling Museum and Education Center of Cold Spring Harbor, where I helped with social media growth, advertising, and soliciting donations for the museum's annual benefit in October.  Even though this position wasn't what I hope to do for a career, I still enjoyed my experience, and felt that I learned a lot from it.  They also gave me a nice Facebook shout out (pictured below) when I left at the end of the summer.

Overall I've enjoyed my time so far working in the museum field, but I'm excited to learn more and do more work in this field, including on my senior thesis!

A post on the Whaling Museum and Education Center's Facebook on my last day of my internship this past summer. 

4 comments:

  1. As we all know, working in a museum can often mean wearing multiple hats, sometime at the same time. I like that you know exactly what role you're interested in but are willing to take on other roles when necessary while still enjoying the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your idea of combining Museum Studies and Digital Humanities for your thesis is a great idea! It'll let you and everyone else see how these two areas of study can overlap and complement each other. Are you also interested in museum education? Or was that just a coincidence with your internships?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is Whaling Museum and Education Center of Cold Spring Harbor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to discussing ideas with you further - digital curation and building out experiences/visualizations may be a way for you to combine both interests in a meaningful way. Now, as to a subject/focus??

    ReplyDelete