Monday, September 10, 2018

Senior Thesis Ideas

Hello there, this is Alexandra once again! I have a bit of a dilemma. There are numerous interests that I have within the museum realm. To name a few topics of interest includes exhibition design, collection care, teaching the importance of history, the subject of Anthropology and Archeology. Alas, the time has come to pick a singular interest of mine and transform it into a research paper and project. I have a few ideas, but I do not know whether they are research worthy thus I am inquiring your help. 
    My first idea is the need for science museums all across the country, especially in Western New York, to create a new separate museum dedicated its anthropology collection. Cultural groups are often offended with their representation in a place where science experiments are performed. Many museum exhibitions display these cultures only in their primal state. These permanent exhibitions fail to show the evolution from prehistoric to modern day. This issue damages not only the museum’s representation, but it damages its relationship with it, visitors, near and far. With further research, I will explain the positive benefits for museums to collaborate with its cultural communities. Then I would proceed to create a plan on how the science museums in Rochester and Buffalo can successfully build a new institution dedicated explicitly to Anthropology and History. 
    My last idea revolves around my professional goal to develop a museum from the ground up. As a proud Buffalonian, I understand how important the professional sports teams in my community. The fans have this pure love for the game that we continue to support the team endlessly regardless of poor success. Buffalo has been labeled one of the best fans in America. Therefore, it is in the best interest of the city and the professional team to celebrate their dedicated fans by creating the Buffalo Sports Museum. My research focuses on the benefits of developing a new museum economically, socially, and politically in a city. For the project component of the research, I would create an outline of a 10-year plan. This plan will include finical and funding strategies, building and exhibitions designs, collection management policies, and potential partners. I have recently learned that there is a profound collector that have an impressive collection of Buffalo sports memorabilia that has a “museum” in his basement. Of course, I would reach out to him to collaborate on expanding his vision and make it more accessible for the public.

Related image
Buffalo Bills fans dedicated to supporting their football team. #Fortheloveofthegame

Here is the link to the existing Buffalo Sports Museum: 

Links of Buffalo Fans professing their love to our teams:

3 comments:

  1. My suggestion, and take it for what it's worth, would be to pursue the Buffalo idea. Just from your short write up, you sound a lot more excited and enthusiastic about that topic than you do the anthropology idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jen; My first impression when reading this was that you seemed very excited about the Buffalo Sports Museum idea, and it looks to have a stronger basis. In other words, you have a plan of action and know how you'll start the thesis. Plus, it seems like a subject closer to your heart which will make the thesis work all the more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both ideas have resonance and relevance for you personally and professionally. I'm going to go the other route and encourage the first idea. From our program, we have contacts at the Buffalo Science Museum, an institution that is in the process of re-contextualizing their dioramas. Such an institution may prove a useful testbed for some of your ideas, visitor studies surveys.

    ReplyDelete