Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Why I chose Museum Studies and Biology

Hello, my name is Katherine Hensel, and I am beginning my thesis journey, aka beginning the end of my college experience. Even while applying to colleges I knew I wanted a career as an Interpretive Park Ranger. This goal led me to choose to major in Biology and Museum Studies with a History minor at RIT. I have always been passionate about history and the environment. Hiking and camping have been a constant in my life, first with family and friends, and then later with the RIT Outing Club. I have been visiting National Parks for as long as I can remember and I want to contribute to "America's Best Idea," as Ken Burns put it. At RIT, the Museum Studies program have enhanced and developed my interest in education and interpretation. The faculty have pushed me from just wanting to understand and share, to pursuing the best educational methods in order to communicate ideas with the public.

2008 Bryce Canyon National Park
2010 Arches National Park
2013 Yellowstone National Park

2014 Grand Canyon National Park

2015 Jewel Cave National Monument

2015 Mount Rushmore National Memorial


           

5 comments:

  1. I always love hearing the paths that people take to the Museum Studies program. I'm interested to know how you first heard about the Museum Studies program at RIT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually heard about RIT's MUSE program from a professor, Dr. Hane, in the Environmental Science program when visiting/touring the campus. I told her my long-term goals and she mentioned that I should checkout the MUSE program.

      Delete
  2. What is your dream National Park to work at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have just one at the top of my list, and all the parks have so much to offer. I loved Grand Tetons, Glacier, and Zion but I would really enjoy the opportunity to work any of the ones in Alaska, Hawaii, or on the West coast. I'd like to be able to experience multiple parks before settling at any specific one.

      Delete
  3. Hi Kate, I am interested in knowing what aspect of communicating ideas you are most interested in? Is it the science aspect or some other context? If the former, consider researching "STEM communication" and "informal learning." Looking forward to another post and update! (Great pix, esp. Grand Canyon. When we were there in May there were 70 MPH winds. AMAZING!)

    ReplyDelete