Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Thesis Post #2: We Live in a Society

Right now, I want to start focusing on ideas related to sociology and power dynamics. I received a lot of feedback from my advisors and Dr. Lent to look into the relationship that the Tonga people have with the dominant ethnic groups of Zimbabwe, so my next step is to do that. One source that my secondary advisor recommended explains what happens when an ethnic group has to commoditize its culture for economic gain. It is possible that the BaTonga Community Museum - a state-sanctioned museum - may be contributing to generalizations about the Tonga people or making local artisans only show off traditional arts rather than contemporary ideas. I don't know what the case is yet, but I'll see as I do more research.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am excited to see how you're honing in on your topic, Rebecca. This is an interesting point about commodification. I'm thinking: is it a facet of both long-term sustainability and also access with, perhaps, unintended consequences? Looking forward to learning more from you!

    ReplyDelete